Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rhyme scheme of a poem?

What is the rhyme scheme of Seamus Heaney%26#039;s %26quot;The Forge%26quot;?


also what is the rhythm?


thank you!!! (poem below)








All I know is a door into the dark.


Outside, old axles and iron hoops rusting;


Inside, the hammered anvil%26#039;s short-pitched ring,


The unpredictable fantail of sparks


Or hiss when a new shoe toughens in water.


The anvil must be somewhere in the centre,


Horned as a unicorn, at one end square,


Set there immoveable: an altar


Where he expends himself in shape and music.


Sometimes, leather-aproned, hairs in his nose,


He leans out on the jamb, recalls a clatter


Of hoofs where traffic is flashing in rows;


Then grunts and goes in, with a slam and a flick


To beat real iron out, to work the bellows.

Rhyme scheme of a poem?
I love Seamus Heaney! But I%26#039;m unfamiliar with this one, so thanks for sharing it!





Since the rhyme is so loose, it%26#039;s hard to identify. I%26#039;d go with a-b-b-a-c-c-c-c-d-e-c-e-d-e. I don%26#039;t think I%26#039;m right with the c%26#039;s, but I can%26#039;t figure out which are supposed to rhyme with each other and which are supposed to be separate.





I think it%26#039;s safe to say it%26#039;s a sonnet because it%26#039;s got 14 lines and is basically in iambic pentameter, although a few lines have eleven beats.





I hope this helps!
Reply:this is the most awesome poem ever!!


publish it



maintenance repairs

No comments:

Post a Comment